Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman
Photographed by Kate Donovan for Donovan's Darlings

Sunday 31 July 2011

Alice Cooper, My Hero

Alice Cooper (real name Vincent Furnier) has been a hero of mine for a good number of years now - he is the inspiration behind my burlesque character, my burlesque performances and my burlesque shows....

Deadly Nightshade Photographed by Steve Rodgers
Inspired by Alice Cooper

I share in his sense of humour, his dark look, his ability to not take himself too seriously and I admire how he can combine all of these things into something magical and theatrical, yet gruesome and macabre, but never vulgar or offensive.  That is a rare and genuine feat of genius which I marvel at in awe.

Within Alice's talents lies the ability which intrigues me the most - the ability to create an on stage persona or character which becomes a person in its own right.  In Alice's earlier days it was clear that he was master and commander of his own publicity, he did nothing to quell rumours about his antics, and one wonders if he even began to start them?  If you have ever read his autobiography 'Me, Alice', you will know what I mean.  I feel sure that at least 50% of the book is pure fiction, in addition, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if these fictions were created and published by Alice himself.

Me, Alice

These days Alice is more upfront about his personalities and keeps the two clearly separate.  The split between Alice Cooper off stage and Alice Cooper on stage is crystal clear and Alice manages to define this 'split' in personalities relatively simply:

"My schedule is, I get up early, I play 18 holes (of golf), and then I go about my day. I'm a 4 handicap. I play every day — the tour doesn't get in the way. And golf doesn't get in the way of becoming Alice at night...The Alice you see onstage? He's never played golf. If you put a golf club onstage, he wouldn't know what it is. He'd probably pick it up and think it was a weapon."

This brings me to the point of my blog, 'A Day in the Life of an Alter-Ego'.  Within this blog, burlesque performer, promoter and model, Deadly Nightshade, will be set free and will be allowed to have her own voice and personality...Stay tuned for more...

"I'm not me anymore. Now I'm him.- Alice Cooper. 



Alice Cooper.



1 comment:

  1. Great way of viewing Alice as a character as a person and as a performer. The Alice on stage is not the same man you see in person. That is the essence of playing a character. To understand it more read Golf monster. Also dangerous disturbing pic of Nightshade with the sword.

    ReplyDelete